Swingin’ Denver’s Pledge and Expectations
We at Swingin’ Denver want you to have a good time learning from us and dancing at our venues. We believe that learning should be fun, that students should dance a lot in our classes to great swing music, that our dance venues are about showcasing our swing dance community, and that we should share America’s dance, the lindy hop, with the greater public.
Our dances and classes are a safe space where we respect our fellow dancers and students. With that goal in mind, no matter where we teach, learn and/or perform, Swingin’ Denver representatives and students pledge to follow this basic Code of Conduct: Treat each other with respect.
– Regardless of your age, conduct yourself well. Basically, try to be kind, give people the benefit of the doubt, and own your actions. Our expectations of this include:
-Arrive early to class. We love starting class on time with fun warmups.
– Please do not give unsolicited feedback to other dancers.
– Turn off or silence all mobile devices before class.
– Consider that all dance partnerships in class are for dancing only and be friendly and courteous with each. Classes are not designed for scoping out individuals to date.
– Please be respectful to venue staff. Without them, Swingin’ Denver would not be able to provide such high-quality, hip and interesting venues for you to enjoy swing dancing and time with friends.
– Please ask people to dance by using your words, such as “Would you like to dance?” instead of silently offering your hand.
– At dances, you may say “no” to a dance request. You do not have to say “yes,” but can politely decline when someone asks you to dance. Read more at Bobby White’s Swungover blog post called “Swing 101 — Etiquette & Floorcraft” or check out this awesome graphic by Holy Lindy Land.
– Please consider appropriate hygiene. Common recommendations are showering before the class or dance, wearing deodorant, brushing teeth, wearing clean clothes, bringing extra shirts to change into. Try to refrain from abundant use of pungent colognes or perfumes as some people have sensitive noses.
We condemn harassing and/or rude behavior:
Swingin’ Denver is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment. This applies equally to every participant. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Assault of any kind has zero tolerance at Swingin’ Denver. We will not hesitate to remove offenders. If you see or experience any harassing behavior by students, observers or teachers, please find your Swingin’ Denver teacher or organizer or contact them here. We will take care of it in a discrete, yet firm and professional manner.
Alcohol is served at a few Swingin’ Denver venues. By attending The Arvada Tavern, The Infinite Monkey Theorem, The Big Wonderful, and/or any other future venues, it is understood that alcohol is available to adults 21 and older. You also agree never to drive a vehicle while under the influence. We are happy to call a cab for you. We do not support underage drinking or intoxication, and we particularly do not condone giving any minors alcohol (this falls under “uncoolness/harassment”). While we would like you to drink alcohol if you so desire, there is no pressure to do so. Alcohol-free options are always available (water, at the very least).
Our venues are mostly situated inside some public venues such as The Arvada Tavern and The Infinite Monkey Theorem. When heading outside the dance space, please respect the venue’s patrons and staff members, and keep noise to a minimum. Generally, you can often find street parking, but if there are exceptions, we’ll try to post about it on our Facebook events. If you are leaving late at night and would like a walk to your car, talk to any staff member and we’d be happy to arrange it for you.